Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Using a Pseudonym



I read a comment that Indie/self-published authors should not use pen names (pseudonym) because they're not real authors. Of course social media is the place to post comments like that right? Despite of the fact that the person's comment was uncalled for, I decided to bring this to light. There are people out there that think Independent/self-published authors should not use pen names because pen names are for the professional writers. Well I beg to differ. A pseudonym is used by some authors who want to conceal their identity. My pseudonym is Cecile Garcia, not much difference from my real name, Cecilia. Cecile is the name of one of my favorite characters in a soap opera I used to watch back in the 1980's. It was called Another World. 


The character's name was Cecile DePoulignac played by Nancy Frangione. I'm sure if you're as old as I am, you'll remember her. I liked her name and since it was similar to my actual name, I chose to use it. Some authors however really go way out on pen names. 

Example:
E.L. James (real name is Erika Leonard Mitchell)
JK Rowling ( real name is Joanne Rowling)
Mark Twain ( real name is Samuel Langhorne Clemens)

I'm sure there are many more out there. There's nothing wrong with using a pseudonym, by all means do so if you wish.I am happy that I chose mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment