Sunday, April 17, 2016

Excerpt from Chandra's Quest book 1: Chapter 8



(The excerpt below is from Chandra's Quest book 1 chapter 8: Carlos. 
Carlos is relating his story to Chandra of when he escaped from the slave pirates)





In all the slave auction facilities across the system, the physicians implant new arrivals with a pinhead size nano chip. It suppresses memory, and provides a way of communication between species.” 
He hesitated and looked back. Keeja is keeping Shy’raan distracted with idle talk. Carlos continues, “It is used as a universal translator--I think. I don’t know much about its function but the nano chip implant enables us to understand THEM--I am certain of that.” Chandra thought about what he said.



 “So, are you saying that without it we would not be able to understand THEM?” Carlos nodded.
“That’s what I think,” he said. Chandra is fascinated by his story so far. The slave traders took me to Dyna. I was implanted there,” he paused, inching his way a little closer to her.
 “Then they loaded me and the people who were in my group onto a transport ship. We were on our way to the planet Eurleau for auction, however the ship never got there. Slave pirates attacked the ship.” A grim look shadowed his face.

Oh wow…. really?” Chandra said, intrigued.
Yes, it’s true and while I was in the custody of the pirates, I met an alien, he told me that he is a changeling, aka a shape shifter. He said that he would be able to help me escape."

So, do you remember everything? About Earth and…”
Shh,” said Carlos, placing his finger over his lip, looking back at the guard. Shy’raan shifted from idle talk to hugging and kissing. People passing by paid no attention to them. Chandra owes Keeja a big favor. She knows Keeja is not comfortable letting Shy’raan paw her.



 Keeja gave Chandra a sidelong glance, rolling her eyes as Shy’raan kissed her on the neck, his hands making their way down to her buttocks. Chandra grimaced.How did the alien help you?” She asked, turning her attention back to Carlos.
He physically transformed into one of the slave dealers so that both of us could escape. No one would suspect him of being a changeling. After we escaped, he took me to a place called Avolea, a heavily forested area on the continent of Lyvia. 





“Lyvia is across the ocean to the East, right?” 
Carlos nodded, “Good, then you know where it is.” Chandra rubs her chin, thinking. Well, yes and no, I’ve never been there myself but I’ve heard of Lyvia. Some of our customers come from that continent,” she said. 

Carlos continues, “I followed the changeling through a doorway carved into a large stone structure…” 




What made you decided to follow him?” Chandra interrupts.
“Well, I would much rather retain the knowledge of knowing who I am and where I came from then never knowing at all.” A Valurin man approached Shy’raan and they began to talk. Shy’raan pats Keeja on her butt and she spurts away from them, walking back to Chandra and Carlos.

What did I miss?” Keeja asked. Carlos looks toward the shop and sees movement inside. He shifts uncomfortably on the bench and ignores Keeja’s question.
  “After passing through, we were both engulfed in a thick fog. As we walked onward, it dispersed and a beautiful garden appeared in front of our eyes.”What garden? What is he talking about?” Keeja asked.
Hush,” said Carlos. “It was there when I met Linnea a very beautiful Dryadian priestess with long flowing white hair, clear blue eyesand her skin smooth and flawless, she looks almost Elfish in appearance.”


  “Elfish?” Keeja whispered to Chandra.
  “Shh, not now.” Chandra replied, worried that Carlos would not have enough time to finish his story. 
This is what I remember; she cupped her hands on my head and everything that I had forgotten rushed back like a strong ocean wave, and then I blacked out.”
 Did she ever explain to you why they put implants in humans?” Chandra asked, eager to hear more about the implants.
 “No, she never did but she helped me remember everything and I am eternally grateful for that.” Chandra eyed him, skeptically yet a part of her does believe him. Keeja tapped her on the shoulder.       
 Uh-oh, look,” she pointed toward Arin, Adara and Xenos walking toward them. Lara is not with them. 
 I wonder where Lara is,” Keeja whispered. Chandra shrugged her shoulders. “I don’t know or care,” she responded, indifferently.
 “What did you do after that? Did you wander the forest? Wasn’t it dangerous?” Chandra asked Carlos.  
 Linnea supplied me with resources. She reassured me that I would be fine. The forest will guide you,” she said. I didn’t understand what she was talking about but I trusted her.” He leaned in, “The forest did in fact come alive…. literally and it was then that I understood.”
 “How did it come alive?” Keeja asked, naively. Carlos’s story seems unbelievable to her but she finds it entertaining, nevertheless.
The forest came alive, I don’t know how else to explain it. Linnea gave me levon stones….”
 “What are Levon stones?” Chandra asked.
They are coming,” Keeja warns. Adara’s eyes narrow as she nears. She sees them talking to Carlos. Carlos continues his story, “A scout ship spotted me as I wandered into a clearing. They picked me up and I was taken to the city of Ba’kur, where my Keeper bought me.” Carlos tapped his head with his finger and whispered.
 “He is unaware that my implant is inoperable.”
Chandra gasped. “Do you think he’ll ever find out?”
 “No, not yet,” he responded, glancing back at the approaching party.
  “I wonder if I have an implant.” Chandra thought. She waited to hear Soran’s voice, but heard nothing. She smiled, letting out a sigh of relief.
What happened to the changeling?” She asked.
He stayed with Linnea. I haven’t seen him since."
Have you ever tried to escape from your Keeper?” Keeja asked. He shook his head, frowned and pointed to his collar.
  Oh, I see,” said Chandra. She did not notice the collar wrapped around his neck.
  “I tried to escape once and I got zapped. The collar lets out an electrical charge and the shock is very painful. It temporarily paralyzes you. You do not ever want to experience that,” he gulped.’’
 “Hu’jy!” A voice thundered from inside the shop. Suddenly, Carlos’ body contorted, a fierce jolt of pain went through him sending a shock wave through every nerve. His breathing became heavy as he struggled to regain his composure.








** book category: young adult books, easy read books 14 & over
mild adult language


Below is a link to my Youtube channel. enjoy

Chandra's Quest YouTube Channel

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment