Thursday, August 1, 2019

How Long Does a Copyright Last?




I was asked this question several times. It’s not that hard to search for info on the subject but when your written work is questioned in whether you have copyright papers or not, I need to emphasize that everything you write and publish needs to be copyrighted. I’m not talking about fanfic, or blog entries, only books you plan on publishing. A few years ago, CreateSpace wanted proof that in the company of elves was my written work, and that I did not steal from that other author, Sandie Bergen. Really? I do not know that author, I only know that she used the title, In the Company of Elves for one of her books and it was in recent years that she wrote and published her book. February 1, 2016. Her book is a part of a trilogy, whereas my book, is a single novel. By the way, the author died in 2015. Just noting.



 As for my book, I originally published it in 2009, then revised it and published it as paperback in 2018 but published it as eBook in 2017.


2009


2017

 I came up with the title back in 2004, and started writing the book so yes, I have copyright papers for it. I had to prove my book was mine and by showing CreateSpace the copyright paper for the book, all was cleared.



After I researched the length a copyright for written work last, well I was amazed! This is what I came up with:

*The duration of copyright in these works is generally computed the same way as for works created on or after January 1, 1978: A copyright lifespan is 95 years from the year of its first publication or a term of 120 years from the year of its creation, whichever expires first.

What happens to the copyright when an Author dies?
In modern US copyright law, for works made by individuals (not works made by corporations), works are protected for the author's entire life plus 70 years. In the U.S. and Europe, copyright lasts for the life of the author plus 70 years. When an author dies, the ownership of the copyright changes. So, ownership in a copyright can be passed to an heir or to a third party via a will.

And that is why I say get a will and last testament set up.



I want to tell you that when you copyright your work, it will cost you. Digital copyright registration will run you $55 each written work. They will send you the paperwork through regular mail. However, if you're filing for one creative work and you're the only copyright holder, it only costs$35. Paper filings have $85 copyright fees.

I suggest spending the $85. You download and print the paperwork, fill it out, sign your name on it and send it to the Copyright office. I know, $85 can be quite a bit for some people but in the long run it’s worth it.  

Side note: Copyright your written work. I want to add that titles can’t be copyrighted. Copyrights cover works fixed in a tangible format, but because titles are typically short, they don't fall under copyright protection. So no, you can't copyright a title to a book, song or movie.



That is why when you search for a specific title on Amazon or other online bookstores, you might find various similar titles, but the content is not the same as what you’re looking for. I was searching for, Stranger Things, just to see how many books were out there with a similar title and wouldn’t you know it, I found many. So instead I decided to call my book, The Stranger Things: Paranormal, Supernatural and Unusual phenomenon, instead of Stranger Things: Paranormal, Supernatural and Unusual Phenomenon.


You can find this book on Amazon, just the eBook version.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment