Saturday, May 5, 2018

Chandra's Quest Book 2 Chapter 11



(excerpt from Chandra's Quest Book 2 Twisted Embers. Chapter 11 The Forest Avolea)


The group spent the night in Saun then the next day rented a hovercar to Vylean, another town, heading north. In the daytime they ventured into town, shopped for supplies and went back to their room. Night fell, and they got much needed sleep except Chandra. She kept thinking about Makea and Xenos.
“I wonder where that bitch is now? Will Xenos track me down? I have the armband he put on me, so it is a guarantee that he will.” She looks at the armband and frowns, letting out a soft sigh. “He will be a problem, if he finds me,” she thought.
  First sign of daybreak Carlos is up and about packing his stuff. Chandra rubs her weary eyes. She managed to get some shut eye in the early morning hours but not enough.
   “I didn’t get much sleep,” she told Keeja.
   “I did but I am worried that we won’t make it to that place called Avolea.” She whispered. “We are trotting around with a killer, and a bug alien creature…. thing. I think we should go our own way. Leave them. We can make it…I know we can.” Keeja eyed Treau suspiciously.
“Well, look at you. I guess I brought out the adventurer/rebel in you,” Chandra chuckles.
“I’m being serious,” Keeja said with a smile.
“Well, yes I know that they are an odd couple to be consorting with but, Carlos hasn’t harmed us, and I do not sense an underlying motive for them helping us, so I think we should continue on our quest with them… wherever it leads us.” Keeja sighed and grimaced.
“If you say so,” she responded, with an ambivalent tone. Chandra put her arm around her friend, to reassure her that everything will be fine, even though she holds doubt in her mind.
“I really like that armband, too bad it’s a tracker,” Keeja said with a sigh. She was about to touch it, but Chandra quickly put on her top, covering the armband with her sleeve.
“We better get packing,” Chandra said. Keeja shrugged and nodded. After they packed, they carried their stuff to an all-terrain electric car parked in a lot nearby. Treau transformed into a Valurin guard.
“When did you bump into a Valurin guard?” Carlos asked him.
“It was in Doesha. I simply touched his hand when I was in a Comigae form. I was walking pass him, and I simply bumped my hand on his. I excused myself and went on my way. He conceded.
“Wow, it’s that simple?” Carlos asked.
“Yes, it is.” Treau gave him a nod.
“When I touch a person, I inherit their persona, their  energy. It is easy for me to change into that individual and impersonate them. Even their finger prints are copied into my DNA.”
“Interesting,” Chandra chimed in. As the vehicle passed the plains of Fyui, Chandra feels anxious. Her heart is filled with anticipation. She looks at her belly.
 “I think I am pregnant but I’m not sure.” She grimaced. “I hope we reach Avolea. If that place is truly a sanctuary, then I will be safe there. I will feel more at ease knowing that my baby will be born in a haven,” she thought. 
“Look at the spectacular view,” Keeja said, as she points out to the tall trees ahead. Chandra let out a nervous sigh and gulped.
“I guess so,” she said, not paying much attention. She is immersed in her thoughts. Keeja digs into a bag and brings out some takeout food.
“Carlos got this at that market place we stopped the other day. Do you want some?” she shoves the piece of food in Chandra’s face.
 “They are fried fish balls. Carlos said fish poop, but he is joking I’m sure.” She pursed her lips. Chandra couldn’t stomach the smell, she feels nauseous. A side effect of pregnancy. Keeping her pregnancy, a secret from her friends is becoming difficult.
  “No, I don’t want anything.” She gave Keeja a weary smile.
“Hmm, I noticed you haven’t been eating that much.
Are you sick?” Keeja asked.
“Maybe. I’m not sure. It could be stress related, though.” Chandra shrugged and turns her attention back to the ominous trees that lay ahead.
They grow larger as they get closer. “Avolea, a place of sanctuary. I certainly hope so.” She gently rubs her belly.
 “There is a problem.” Treau said. His eyes glazed over, and a distant look shadowed his face. Everyone looked at him, anxiously.
“What is it?” Carlos asked. He set the hover car on auto-pilot.
“I sense someone is tracking us.” Treau paused. “A bounty hunter.”
“What! She is here on the continent of Lyvia? I told you she would come!” Keeja cried out.
Chandra sat up with a start. Her heart sank.
“No, I do not sense a female but a male.” Treau’s eyes became normal again.
  “Oh no,” Chandra whispered, rubbing her forehead with her fingers.
“What is it Chandra?” Keeja asked. She noticed her friend’s distressed look.
“It’s Xenos. I thought he was far away.” She looked at her arm.
“Damn! It’s this armband!” She showed Keeja. “One of the armband’s jewels is glowing.” She said.




“How did he find me? I thought he was far away, off this world?” She pondered for a moment. “Wait, it’s been several weeks, almost a month since we last saw each other so it is possible he found his way back to Eurleau.” She conceded.
“Oh shit,” Keeja whispered, her mouth dropped, staring at the armband.
   “Damn it!” Carlos said. “So, you think Lizard man is back on Eurleau?” He asked, anxiously.

“I don’t know what happened to him and his friend Dukar after the Valurin tried to abduct me,” she continued. “All I know is that the gas he used on them was supposed to leave them in a temporary coma for a few days or maybe weeks. I believe they were sent somewhere, probably to another continent or maybe to the moon Dyna.”
“Well, I guess Javarins are a sturdy bunch,” Carlos said, tightly.
“Why is it doing that?” Keeja asked, as she touched the glowing jewel on the armband with her finger.
“Don’t touch it!” Carlos shouted. Keeja gasped and jerked her hand back, her button brown eyes popped open. She grimaced. 
 “If you touch it, it will pick up your DNA signal and he will definitely know you’re with her.” Treau said. Keeja gulped, her worried eyes glanced at Chandra.
“Yeah, what he said,” Carlos added.  “We have to get to Avolea before he catches up with us.” Carlos chimed in, with a solicitous look in his eyes. Chandra grimaced and sighed. It is her burden to bare but now she has put the rest in danger.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment