Saturday, May 5, 2018

Chandra's Quest: Book 2 Chapter 4



(Excerpt form Chandra's Quest Book 2: Twisted Embers. Chapter 4 No Rest for the Hunted)


Makea rented a room in the north side of the city. She discreetly lugged Chandra into the building. Of course, if anyone noticed, no one asked questions, and no one cared. Since she is a bounty hunter, they respect her privacy. Castia Inn is located south of Aurora, six miles away from the Trinket Shop where Carlos works.
 “There,” Makea said as she removed the net. Chandra gasped and took in a deep breath. She felt claustrophobic while wrapped up in the net. In two minutes she could move again.
“You’ll be fine. Some people experience claustrophobia while in the net.” Makea said with a straight face. “I know,” Chandra glared at her. When she regained movement, she scurried toward the bed, eyeing Makea suspiciously. On the floor, she looked
like a frightened animal.
   “Why did you do this? The money is not worth it, I swear to you, I am innocent! I was sold to a Javarin; he was going to take me to Barunda! You do know that Soran wants me alive? He’ll come for me no matter what. Your life is in dan…”
“Hush!” Makea interjected. “In case you’re wondering, I am not working for Soran. I will not turn you in, that’s the last thing I want to do! I want to keep you away from him. However, you will return to my time and stand trial for your crime.” Her icy glare sent a chill through Chandra’s heart.
“This woman is crazy what is she talking about? What crime?” Chandra looks around and sees her backpack on the floor a few feet away from her. Remembering that she had a flash bomb in it, her mind went through different scenarios on how she can get to it.
“I don’t understand what you mean. I have not committed a crime of any sort.” Chandra paused. “Who are you?” She sat on the bed. Makea stood in front of her, with her arms crossed, looking down with contempt.
“I guess it’s apparent, you don’t know who you are and how you will kill thousands of my people—do you? Let me enlighten you.” Makea pulled up a chair and sat in front of her. “You are Soran’s toy, and your blood will kill thousands of people--my people. And all because he wanted to test his creation. The bio-weapon.” She said.
“But how?” Chandra asked. Her eyes rest on Makea
evenly. Chandra is anticipating a horrific revelation, something she doesn’t know but, probably should know. “Maybe something about my future,” thought Chandra. “I cannot give you that information at this time. You probably shouldn’t know anyways.”
“Damnit!” thought Chandra. An alarm sounded throughout the hotel. A holographic screen materialized from the ceiling.
THIS IS AN ALERT. A COMIGAEN WOMAN, KILLED 20 PEOPLE AT A LOCAL BROTHEL IN THE NORTH SIDE OF AURORA CITY. BE ON THE LOOK OUT FOR HER. A security footage from the brothel appeared on the screen.
  “Damn it!” Makea sneered. The footage showed Makea shooting several of the clients at the brothel. In addition, it showed her dragging Chandra out of the brothel. She looked at Chandra and grimaced and let out an exasperated sigh.
“No one here will bother us. The owners of this Inn will not turn me in because I paid them a hefty sum plus they cater to bounty hunters.” Makea reassured Chandra. A forlorn look shadowed Chandra’s face.
  “We should rest up. I still have a long way to go till I reach my designated portal.” Makea exhaled, stood up and walked to the bathroom to wash her face. “Don’t try to leave. The door is locked with my bio print.” Chandra cleared her throat and made a sour face. She exhaled.
 “May I ask, where are you from?” Chandra’s eyes glanced at her backpack, wanting to reach out and grab it. “The flash bomb is in there, if I could only reach it.” Chandra looked at her hands, they are cuffed. Makea walked out of the bathroom.
 “I am from the future and in that time, you are idolized, a statue is erected on Eurleau of you. You are the Ny’Karin Slayer, that is what they say, but to me you are a killer! Soran used your blood to murder thousands of my people by poisoning the water supply.”
“But that’s ridiculous, I am just an ordinary human, I was a prostitute at Adara’s brothel, I have no power or skill to…’ Her voice trailed off.   
 “That’s why Soran wants me. He must know about all of this and he is going to execute me himself or save me---one or the other!” Chandra thought. She sighed. The forlorn look in Chandra’s eyes did not escape Makea’s glare.
  “You will never understand all this right now so, it is best to forget about the questions you have for the time being.” Makea said. As a time-traveler, Makea is only given a brief description of the towns & places where Chandra will be at that time.
   If Makea misses an opportunity, then she will have to reset her device and transport to another time and place. She must be precise because in one-year tops, Chandra will be with the Ny’Karins; it will be much harder to capture her then. Makea secured Chandra’s magnetized cuffs on her hands and feet. They are not like the energy cuffs that most guards have on Eurleau, the cuffs on Chandra’s hands are from the planet Comigae and are held together by strong
magnetic energy. Makea took the bed and slowly fell to sleep. Chandra sat on the hard floor and leaned her head against the wall. She tried to close her eyes.
 “I won’t be able to sleep tonight, that’s for sure.” She thought.

(please leave review. TY)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment